Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Free at Last, Free at Last.....oops!!

Jodie and I are usually confined to our 2.5 acres when we are at home. There is a wire that runs around the property and it used to be that if we got too close to the wire, we'd get a buzz or a little zap. However, the old zapper got hit by lightning and there hasn't been a buzz for a long time. A few months ago I got down to the end of the fence and around the end to visit with the dog next door, but I got caught in only a few minutes and brought back. Still, old folks didn't put on the collar that bites.

Early this morning, the old guy fed us and put us out. Now, under normal circumstances I'd be back at the door in just a few moments, as I really don't like the cold. However, today there was something going on next d00r and I HAD to go and investigate. A quick stroll to the end of the fence, a turn into the next yard, and I had another 2.5 acres to explore. Jodie wouldn't come, so I had this all to myself. I raced up back to investigate and barked my head off. Whatever had been there was gone, but heck, I had a lot of new territory to sniff. It was quite a long time I had to prowl before I heard the old man calling me. It was early and the old man was actually out of the house and walking up the back yard calling and looking. Jodie, rat that she can be, ran right up to the back corner closest to me and the old man was right behind. CAUGHT!

You know Coco, he's not as stupid as you think. You established a pattern of coming right back in the cold weather and now you changed the pattern. What was he supposed to think? You may have noticed that I never followed you and do you know why? It's because I know where the boundary is and don't like that heavy collar around my neck. Now the fence is hooked up again and we're back in those heavy collars. That's OK. I STILL know where the boundary is, but you have been getting in the habit of going over the limit by a foot or two. One of these days, and soon, you're going to forget and try to go beyond again. I'll have a chuckle when I hear you yelp. Tomorrow morning you and the old man will go for the paper. You'll grab one paper and cross the fence line even though he tosses your paper well up into the yard. You will forget. You will feel the bite of the collar and you will yelp. I'm laughing already.

At least I carry in one of the papers and I'm compensated with a treat. You get a treat just for being with me. If I get zapped I may stop carrying the paper and there will be no more morning treats for either of us.

I'm not making fun of you carrying the paper and I sure enjoy the treat. I'm just saying that you'be getting very careless about the fenceline and you are going to get zapped. You'll get zapped, but I'll still get a cookie, I bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment