Monday, February 1, 2010

This is the winter of our discontent

From Winter 2010

Yes, Folks, this has become the winter of our discontent. The picture above shows Mom with a background of snow on the roof and the screen. IT"S COLD even for the rugged Labrador Retriever. I'm cold and I have an extra layer of fur. Poor Coco has a sparse fur by comparison and therefore she shivers a lot more than I do. Cold, Cold Cold! ugh!!

Another thing is that the old man has seen fit to keep us from the pool because he claims the water is too cold for us. Does the daft old fellow not realize that we were bred to retrieve ducks from the ice rimmed ponds for hunters. Does he not realize that we are LABRADOR retrievers and our heritage goes back to Labrador and Newfoundland? We had a few warm days and the pool water warmed up enough that "he who plays God" allowed us to use the pool. Cold water or not, using the pool is Divine.

I have to admit that it was nice to get back in the pool, Coco, but to be honest it was still a bit cold. About the Labs bred to chase ducks in the freezing water of the north, remember, I'm a California girl, bred to roam the beaches of Malibu and San Diego. Icy water is not my choice, so I think the old man was probably correct in sparing my fine body the ravages of icy cold water. Besides, I'm more of a lady, I WALK down the steps and swim around the pool. You are out of control, running and jumping in the pool to chase a ball. Doing that would get my head wet.

You're missing half the fun of having a pool. Leaping far into the pool makes me come alive!!!! This is especially true when we get to use the pool so seldom now.

We sure don't have the access that we used to have. But you have to admit that this wintry weather has had a negative effect on the folks. We don't get to use the pool, but then they seldom feel like going out in the cold to play fetch. Running back and forth really warms me up, but they just stay in one place and toss the ball. They should be running with us, that would warm them up.

The fat old guy running with us?????? Are you serious???? He'd have an attack or something and we'd have to drag him back to the house. Well, we're into February and this cold weather can't last forever. I wish it was over just so the old man would cheer up. He acts like he's never going to see warm weather again and all too soon he'll be complaining about the heat.

Yes, he may complain about the heat, but at least we get to use the pool every day and that's a real nice way to cool off. Perhaps we will soon got from our winter of discontent to our spring of renewed optimism.

There is that possibility. Another thing is that usually, the spring of renewed optimism leads to a trip north to escape the worst heat of summer. I could use a change of scenery.

Me, too, Coco . Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment