Sunday, June 28, 2009

Observations from the Quadrapeds

We've kind of been laying low for the last several days. The old folks have been a bit busy, but we've been relegated to our necessary walks. This was not so a few days ago. When we were still in Saint Ann, we went for a ride, looking for a place to swim. There is a beautiful river that flows through the area and we were hoping for a romp in the water. When we finally got to a beautiful spot in the river, the Mom saw a "NO DOGS" sign. Would you believe the racism of these French Canadians? With no other options the Dad drove back to the campground and evidently decided to let us swim in the ocean or the seaway, or what ever it is. Trust me, it's WATER!!! He opened the back of the Jeep and turned us loose, so Jodie and I raced to the water. Just between the two of us, Jodie can outrun me, but not when we're heading for water. I was first in and first out. The Dad was still a long way off as he is slow by human standards, but snail-like by mine. So I was able to dash in and out of the water a couple of times before he got to the beach. I noticed some great smelling snacks along the beach and managed to snag two or three before he got there. Yum!!!

Dad tried to get us away from the snacks by throwing a stick in the water. I wanted to continue eating, but I couldn't fight the need to swim out and get the stick. Over and over this occurred and I hardly had a chance to eat another bite, though I did manage to get one or two.

Yes, she managed to get a few more fish when I took the stick and kept it away from her. She likes to retrieve but not play keep-a-way, so she quickly gave up and went back to the fish, but she paid for it later. We weren't in the water very long when we were brought back to the camper and give warm baths. Oh how I love a warm bath, especially the brisk toweling afterward.

Later that evening, the fish I ate started percolating inside my stomach and I didn't feel so well. Does the term "sick as a dog" mean anything to you? I lost my supper. The next morning I lost my breakfast. Worst of all, I wasn't allowed on the bed. All I could do is lay around. I would have moaned if I could have, but stoic that I am, I just lay there quietly. The next time I eat off the beach, I'll try to make sure that the fish is fresher.

Now for the bright side. With Coco seven sheets to the wind, I was able to get all the attention I deserve. Coco would just lay on the floor, so I'd go to Mom and have a long scratching session. Then, when she's tire I'd go to Dad and roll over and get my belly scratched. Back and forth, back and forth, I'm really a glutton for attention, AAAhhhhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment